This page was last reviewed on November 4, 2020.
The Village of Cumberland issues permits for building construction, plumbing installations, woodstoves, fireplaces and inserts. View the Building in Cumberland brochure.
A building permit is required before:
- construction of a building or a structure, including accessory structures and buildings
- alteration or addition to a structure or a building
- completion of an undeveloped area of a building
- construction of an secondary suite
- structural repair or change to a structure or building
- demolition of a structure or building or part of a structure
- construction of a swimming pool
- installation of heating appliances, such as wood stoves and inserts (new residential construction with a building permit application after Dec 10 2018 may not install a wood stove or other solid fuel burning appliance; see the Solid Fuel Burning Appliance Bylaw 1091, 2018)
- moving a building
- change of use or occupancy of a building or premises
- installation, repair or replacement of a plumbing fixture or system
- installation of a manufactured home
Permit Applications and Fees
You may submit permit applications at the Village Office during regular office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Find out more about how you can pay building permit fees.
Appointment of Agent – to authorize your agent or builder to apply on your behalf
Building Permit fees table – A non-refundable building permit processing fee is required when you submit your application.
Standard estimates on construction values are used for calculating permit fees for residential building permits.
Call 250-336-2291 or email email@example.com to book your building inspection. Please call at least 48 hours in advance to ensure that your inspection can be accommodated. Inspections typically take place on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Building and Development Questions?
The Building Inspector may be available to answer inquiries relating the British Columbia Building Code on Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Please call 250-336-2291.
For inquiries related to building permits and Village building and development bylaws, please contact the Planner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-336-2291.
Building and Property Records
There is a $50 fee to review building records, except to an owner of the property. An agent must have an agent authorization letter in order to view property files.
Please call 250-336-2291 or email email@example.com to make an appointment to view a property file.
BC Homeowner Protection Office
Check out BC Housing’s Homeowner Protection Office website which offers building publications and guides as well as licensing information for homeowner builders, and home warranty information.
Accessibility and Inclusion
It’s important to keep accessibility and inclusion in mind in any building development or renovation. Find resources.Search again