This page was last reviewed on March 23, 2018.
The Village of Cumberland issues permits for building construction, plumbing installations, woodstoves, fireplaces and inserts. View the “Building in Cumberland” brochure here.
A building permit is required before:
- construction of a building or a structure, including accessory structures and buildings
- alteration or addition to a structure or a building
- completion of an undeveloped area of a building
- construction of an secondary suite
- structural repair or change to a structure or building
- demolition of a structure or building or part of a structure
- construction of a swimming pool
- installation of heating appliances, such as woodstoves and inserts
- moving a building
- change of use or occupancy of a building or premises
- installation, repair or replacement of a plumbing fixture or system
- installation of a manufactured home
You may submit and pick up permit applications at the Village Office during regular office hours, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. You can download the Plumbing Permit Application and the Building Permit Application.
The Village of Cumberland uses standard estimates on construction value for calculating permit fees owing on residential building permits. View the list of values here.
Building Inspector Office Hours
The Building Inspector is usually available to answer inquiries relating to building permits, the British Columbia Building Code, and Village bylaws on Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Call 250-336-2291 to reach the building inspector by telephone. Inspections – Call 250-336-2291 Inspections may be booked for Tuesday and Thursday mornings by calling 250-336-2291 during regular office hours. Please call at least 48 hours in advance to ensure that your inspection can be accommodated.
BC Homeowner Protection Office
Check out BC Housing’s Homeowner Protection Office website which offers building publications and guides as well as licensing information for homeowner builders, and home warranty information.Search again