This website has been designed to navigate using word search.

Type what you’re looking for in the search box above.

Can’t find the right words? Try something like council meetings or water restrictions or dog licenses.

Heritage Alteration Permits

This page was last reviewed on March 6, 2024.

The Heritage Alteration Permit (HAP) system in Cumberland recognizes and enhances the historic nature of the Historic Village Commercial Core for the benefit of present and future generations. It ensures that building restorations, rehabilitations, renovations or alterations and property development or redevelopment respects the history and enhances the heritage character within this area.

If you own a property in Cumberland within the Heritage Conservation Area – Historic Village Commercial Core, a HAP is required before making any specified changes to the property. The Interactive Map shows the location of the Heritage Conservation Area.

When Is A Heritage Alteration Permit Required?

Within the Heritage Conservation Area – Historic Village Commercial Core, a HAP is required before taking any of the following actions:

  • Starting the construction of a new building or structure or an addition to an existing building or structure within the area.
  • Altering a building or structure or land within the area.
  • Altering a feature that is protected heritage property.
  • Subdividing land.
  • Demolition of a building.

In accordance with the Village’s OCP, some development and building activities do not require a HAP. See list of exemptions on page 158 in Part D Section 11: Historic Village Commercial Core of the Official Community Plan. Contact Development Services staff to confirm any potential exemptions prior to initiating work.

Minor Heritage Alteration Permits

In some cases, a HAP may be considered minor and can be approved by the Manager of Development Services. These minor HAPs do not require Council approval if they meet the criteria set out in the Development Application Procedures Bylaw. A HAP may be considered minor if the following applies:

  • Signs, fences, or accessory buildings.
  • New or replacement windows and doors that do not affect the character defining elements of the building.
  • Single or duplex residential additions up to a maximum of 100m2 at the rear of the building without variances.
  • Minor amendments to an existing approved permit.

The Manager of Development Services will refer a minor HAP to Council if the application is in conjunction with a Development Variance Permit not delegated to staff or if they deem it to be in the public interest to instead have the application considered by Council.

How to Apply

Please review the Heritage Alteration Permit Application Guide. Next, contact the Development Services Department to discuss your proposal. This will help determine if a formal pre-application meeting is required.

Further Information and Forms

Questions? Contact the Development Services Department at: 250-336-2291 or email us at

Search again