This page was last reviewed on March 11, 2021.
A Heritage Alteration Permit (HAP) is required to take any of the following actions to land or buildings in the Historic Village Commercial Core development permit area.
- Start the construction of a building or structure or an addition to an existing building or structure within the area
- Alter a building or structure or land within the area
- Alter a feature that is protected heritage property
- Subdivide land
- Demolition of a building
This development permit area is designated by the Official Community Plan Bylaw.
- Historic Village Commercial Core development permit area map
- Development Permit Area Guidelines and Heritage Alteration Permit Guidelines in Part D of the Official Community Plan
Applications, Guides and Forms
Please contact Building and Development staff at 250-336-2291 for more information on heritage designations and to apply for a permit.
A heritage alteration permit is not required for:
a) Exterior maintenance and repairs of buildings with materials, design and colours that are consistent with these guidelines so long as there are no changes to overall appearance or design, including permitting repainting in historically appropriate colours or routine upkeep. However, any alterations to windows, siding or architectural features will require a Heritage Alteration Permit
b) Alterations or repairs to existing single family residences
c) Soft Landscaping that does not affect the heritage character of the Historic Village Commercial Core or the heritage value of the property
d) Construction and maintenance activities carried out by, or on behalf of, the Village
e) Regular and emergency Village maintenance of municipal infrastructure conducted in a manner that is consistent with the objectives of the Heritage Conservation Area designation
f) Public art as approved by Council
g) Interior renovationsSearch again