This page was last reviewed on September 27, 2022.
General Candidate Resources
Find out more about:
- Running for office and view the Candidate’s Guide to Local Elections in B.C.
- Local governments in B.C.
- Role of elected officials
- Candidate campaign financing and advertising rules from Elections BC
Thinking of running for local office?
Videos feature advice from experienced elected officials, including former mayor and MLA Josie Osborne.
Municipal Candidate Information Session on August 18, 2022 at 6 p.m.
View the Youtube recording of this information session for potential candidates. The session was jointly hosted by the Village of Cumberland, the City of Courtenay, and the CVRD.
The session was facilitated by a consultant who served as mayor and councillor in their community and offered interested candidates an opportunity to learn about the role of an elected official and ask questions.
Candidate Nomination Packages
The period to file candidate nomination is August 30, 2022 at 9 a.m. and September 9, 2022 at 4 p.m.
Candidate nomination forms for the offices of mayor, councillor, and school trustee for Area 3 – Cumberland must be received by the Chief Election Officer at the Village of Cumberland office during the candidate nomination period.
It is recommended that candidates may an appointment to submit nominations by contacting Rachel Parker, chief election officer at 250-336-3005 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information for School Trustee Candidates
Number of candidate nominators required:
- The minimum numbers of qualified nominators for a trustee candidate is two.
Qualifications for Office
A person is qualified to be nominated, elected and to hold office as a member of local government if they meet the following criteria:
- Canadian citizen;
- 18 years of age or older on General Voting Day October 15, 2022;
- resident of British Columbia for at least six months immediately before the day nomination papers are filed;
- not disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from being nominated for, being elected to or holding the office, or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Declaration of Candidates
Candidates for the offices of mayor, councillor and school trustee will be declared after 4 p.m. on September 9, 2022.Search again