This website has been designed to navigate using word search.

Type what you’re looking for in the search box above.

Can’t find the right words? Try something like council meetings or water restrictions or dog licenses.

Outdoor Burning

This page was last reviewed on September 11, 2018.

Small Recreational Fires (Campfires)

NEW! Permits for small recreational fires may be obtained online, or at the Village Office.

Apply online.

A permit is required for small recreational fires. Permits are free of charge and are valid for the calendar year. Permits are not valid when there is a burning ban in effect and may be revoked by the Fire Chief.

Small recreational campfires must

  • Be no larger than 0.5m (1.5 ft) in diameter
  • Be contained within a CSA approved fire appliance or a fire ring fitted with a screen of 9.5 mm (3/8 inch) or smaller mesh to restrict any sparks or flying debris
  • Be located at least 1.5m from any vegetation or combustable material
  • Be located at least 3m from any building, structure or fuel supply tank

Please burn clean wood and do not burn garbage or other prohibited materials.

Check the Venting Index Before You Burn

Reduce your impact on Cumberland’s air quality and check the venting index for Central Vancouver Island for a “good” or “fair” burning day.

Burning your fire hot and dry will also help reduce impacts on the Village’s air quality.

Land-Clearing Fires

As of September 5, 2017, land-clearing fires are no longer permitted in the Village of Cumberland. This does not affect recreational burning permits.

Exceptions include:

  • land-clearing fires that are for forestry management purposes and on Private Managed Forest Land; Municipalities do not have the authority to ban forestry activities.
  • municipal burning

Yard Waste Fires

As of February 27, 2017, yard waste fires are no longer permitted in the Village of Cumberland.

Report a Fire Complaint

To report any kind of fire complaint or emergency, dial 911. If it is not an emergency, tell the 911 operator that it is a fire non-emergency. Callers will then be connected to the fire department duty officer.

For more information about outdoor burning, call the Village office at 250-336-2291 or the Fire Department at 250-336-2531.

Fire Danger Rating

The Wildlife Management Branch publishes fire danger rating information on their web site updated year round.

Prohibited Materials

It is an offence to burn the following materials:

  • Garbage
  • Plastic
  • Wire insulation
  • Rubber products
  • Petroleum treated materials
  • Petroleum by-products
  • Asphalt and asphalt shingles
  • Asbestos-containing materials
  • Treated wood
  • Animal or vegetable matter
  • Animal remains
  • Any substance that emits heavy black smoke, noxious odours or hazardous air contaminants
  • Any material prohibited by the BC Environmental Management Act

FireSmart Your Home and Property

Wildfires are unpredictable, but simple steps can reduce the chance they will impact your home and property. Learn more about FireSmart construction, landscaping and maintenance on the FireSmart web site.

Search again