This page was last reviewed on April 2, 2020.
Check this page for current Village service levels and closures of Village facilities.
- Village office is closed to the public and email messages are being monitored. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to leave a message.
- Phone message are not being monitored daily at this time.
- Please use online banking for payments where possible.
Public Works Emergencies
**Property owners will be charged for call outs for assistance to private property.**
Only for emergencies requiring immediate public works assistance, such as
- sanitary sewer and storm sewer breaks or back ups on the roadway
- major water line breaks
- downed trees
- downed traffic control signs
- road kill that is a danger to traffic
Please email email@example.com or call 250-336-2291, select option #4 and leave a message to report a need for public works emergency assistance.
- playground and family area closed
- Tennis courts closed
- basketball court closed
- skatepark closed
- off-leash dog park closed
- bike jump park closed
- horseshoe pitch closed
- BMX track closed
- parking lot at BMX track closed
No 6 Mine Heritage Park
- Playground closed
Trails and Parking Lots
- Trails surrounding wastewater lagoon (Ulverston/Coniston area) closed
- Trail head parking lots closed:
- Cumberland Recreation Centre parking lot
- BMX parking lot at Village Park
- Coal Creek Historic Park parking lots (Jumbo’s Cabin, Lower Chinatown Historic Site)
Cumberland Lake Park
- Playground closed
- Campground, washroom building, office concession and other amenities are closed for the season. Find out more from the Cumberland Lake Wilderness Society.
- The park remains open to walk in users, however all users MUST stay at least two metres apart while in the outdoors
- Cumberland Recreation Centre closed
- Parking lot at Cumberland Recreation Centre closed
- Cultural Centre closed
- Programming suspended
Development and Building Permit Applications
- Building permit staff will continue to process existing building applications. This will include conducting site and building inspections with social distancing on site as per Building Inspection notice to applicant. There will be no inspection services for occupied buildings.
- New building permit applications (available at Cumberland.ca/building-permits/) may only be sent in by postal delivery or dropped through the mail slot at the Village Office’s main door. New building permit applications received by the Village Office will only have initial file setup and processing established. Review of new applications will be limited due to staff resources at this time. There are no in-person meetings with the public.
- Building applications that have been reviewed by the Inspector will be issued once payment is processed. Applicants will receive an email that the permit is ready subject to payment. Please provide payment via mailed cheque made out to the Village of Cumberland. Permit packages will be mailed out once payment has been processed. Construction may only begin when a valid permit is issued.
- Development services staff will continue to process existing development applications. This will include conducting site inspections on a case-by-case basis.
- New development applications (development permit, development variance permit and heritage alteration permit applications) may only be sent in by postal delivery or dropped through the mail slot at the Village Office’s main door. New development applications received by the Village Office will only have initial file setup and processing established. Approvals will be subject to Council session availability. There will be no in-person meetings with applicants or the public.If you wish to submit a development application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an initial discussion to guide you through the application requirements. Information about new accessory dwelling units and secondary suites, and conversions to accessory dwelling units and secondary suites are available at cumberland.ca/development-applications-and-brochures/.
- No new applications for businesses, other than essential services, are being accepted at this time
- Solid waste collection service is active using the updated 2020 schedule. Collection switches to Mondays effective March 30, 2020
- Email email@example.com to register for extra garbage container – no tags being sold at this time
- Check www.cswm.ca for Comox Valley Waste Management Centre hours and services
Fires and Burning Permits
- Recreational campfires no more than 0.5m in diameter currently allowed with a permit. Apply online.
- Yard waste and construction waste fires not permitted.
Keeping Up To Date with Facebook
For information from the regional Emergency Operations Centre on COVID-19 response:
For information on Village services:Search again