On Monday, September 14, 2020 unlimited recycling and unlimited organics/yard waste will be collected from single family residences in Cumberland.
Find out about what can go in your recycling container. Print a PDF brochure from Recycle BC on what can go in and what can’t go in your container (please note that glass may not be recycled through curbside collection in the Comox Valley).
Organics Waste Prohibited Items Due to COVID-19
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and to protect the health of solid waste collection crews, the following items must be disposed of in your garbage, rather than in your organics container:
- paper towels,
- paper napkins,
- facial tissues
In addition, these items must be placed in a securely tied plastic bag in your garbage:
- sanitizing wipes, including those marked flushable
- all personal hygiene products
- used tissues
- cleaning cloths
- face masks
If you are sick or caring for someone who is sick, all personal waste should be double bagged in plastic bags. All garbage bags should be securely tied and then disposed of with regular garbage.
Garbage collection is limited to one garbage can per residential unit. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about purchasing additional bag tags.
What can go in your curbside organics container:
- Yard waste
- Meats, poultry and bones (cooked or uncooked)
- Fish and shellfish (cooked or uncooked)
- Grains and pasta, including bread, cereals, pizza, pastries & rice
- Dairy products, including cheese, yogurt, sour cream, butter, mayonnaise
- Eggs and shells
- Fruit and vegetable scraps
- Plate scrapings & food leftovers
- Food-soiled paper and cardboard
- Coffee filters, grounds and tea bags
What stays out of your curbside organic container:
- Plastic, even if labeled biodegradable or compostable
- Coffee cups and lids
- Meat trays or other Styrofoam
- Fruit stickers, bread clips or ties
- Metal, rubber or glass
- Diapers or baby wipes
- Pet waste or kitty litter
- Dental floss, cotton swabs or balls
- Dryer sheets or lint
- Vacuum contents or bags
- Cigarettes and butts
Please contact Emterra at 250-336-8066.
Find more information on Solid Waste collection.Search again