This page was last reviewed on June 8, 2018.
That’s a Wrap on Cumberland Road
The final steps to complete the significant Village Upgrades project are being wrapped up on Cumberland Road, with crews finishing at site the week of June 4. The Village Upgrades project, which started in 2016, is part of council’s commitment to improve the infrastructure of Cumberland and provides exciting and much-needed improvements to the community.
Work in the spring of 2018 included:
- Removing the pre-load material installed along this section of road in 2017, and reconstructing the roadway
- Finishing dedicated bike lanes to the Union Road intersection
- New plantings of trees and shrubs that will create a consistent and appealing entrance to the village, and which are approved to minimize potential impact on infrastructure like roadways or overhead powerlines
- The beautification of the centre island to include planting and irrigation systems
See the latest News Bulletin here:
GETTING AROUND DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Work is largely complete with limited activity on site as crews wrap up final pieces of work.
- Please watch for crews and slow down.
- No lane closures or detours are currently required.
Two of Cumberland’s main thoroughfares – long in need of updating – have received the revitalization they deserve in a multi-phase construction project that began in May 2016 and will finish this year. Dunsmuir Avenue and Cumberland Road have both been significantly improved following the construction work.
Phase 1 of the Village Upgrades project was completed through 2016/2017 and involved improving six blocks of Dunsmuir Avenue by replacing aging underground services, repaving road surfaces and improving sidewalks. Phase 2, the Cumberland/Bevan Road phase, included widening the road and shoulder, improving drainage, replacing water lines, and adding new base materials, asphalt paving, sidewalks, and bike lanes.
Want a refresh on everything that was accomplished during the Village Upgrades project? See the links below to news updates shared throughout the project.
- News Bulletin #9 April 2017
- NewsBulletin #10 May 2017
- News Bulletin#11 June 2017
- News Bulletin#12 July 2017
- News Bulletin #13 August 2017
- News Bulletin #14 September 2017
- News Bulletin #8 November-December 2016
- News Bulletin #7 October 2016
- News Bulletin #6 September 2016
- News Bulletin #5 August 2016
- News Bulletin #4 July 2016
- News Bulletin #3 June 2016
- News Bulletin #2 May 2016
- News Bulletin #1 April 2016
- Proposed Construction Map
- November 2015: Phase 1 of Cumberland/Bevan Road updates completed
- July 2015: Cumberland awarded $1.85M for Dunsmuir Corridor wastewater infrastructure from the Small Communities Fund
- 2013-Summer 2015: Geotechnical investigation and corridor design for Cumberland Road project
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Contact the Village Upgrades project team with questions and feedback, or to be added to an email list for project news bulletins:
- Preferred Concept Design – Cumberland and Bevan Roads: Open House June 22, 2016