This page was last reviewed on July 14, 2017.
With Phase 1 of the Village Upgrades project (Dunsmuir Avenue infrastructure improvements) complete, work is underway on Phase 2: Cumberland and Bevan roads. Traffic patterns are impacted – please refer to the following detour map for more information.
The Village thanks everyone for their patience during this work.
What’s Happening Now:
- Paving of both Bevan and Cumberland Roads scheduled to wrap up Friday, July 14.
- Clearing of brush along the “wetlands” area of Cumberland Road is scheduled to begin Tuesday, July 18, with heavy excavation scheduled to begin the week of July 24.
Watch here for updates throughout the project:
- News Bulletin #8 November-December 2016
- News Bulletin #7 October 2016
- News Bulletin #6 September 2016
- News Bulletin #5 August 2016
- News Bulletin #4 July 2016
- News Bulletin #3 June 2016
- News Bulletin #2 May 2016
- News Bulletin #1 April 2016
- Proposed Construction Map
Two of Cumberland’s main thoroughfares – long in need of updating – will get the revitalization they deserve in a multi-month construction project running from May 2016, to fall 2017. Dunsmuir Avenue and Cumberland Road will both see significant upgrades as part of this work.
These exciting projects are high on the community’s strategic priority list and speak to Council’s long-term commitment to improving aging infrastructure. With grant funding currently on the table, getting them done now means less cost for the village.
We understand this work may be disruptive at times. The project team is committed to providing regular, current updates and actively keeping in touch with residents, business owners and event organizers.
PROJECT PROGRESS DIARY
Watch for project news bulletins, photos and updates/milestones here.
- June 29: Bevan Road is now open to two-way traffic and sidewalks have been poured. The Bevan Road portion is almost complete, with construction continuing on Cumberland Road.
- May 29: Full road closure of Cumberland Road between Bevan and Union Roads, with exception of local traffic to businesses/residences which will always have access – detour for general traffic is along Union and Royston roads to Dunsmuir
- April 17: Single-lane alternating traffic patterns begin on Cumberland and Bevan Roads
- Mid-April: Construction crews mobilize for Cumberland Road work
- March 29: Village receives Bike BC grant for cycling upgrades on Cumberland Road. (Read more here)
- March 2017: Wacor awarded contract for Cumberland and Bevan road upgrades
- December 2016: The final section of paving on Dunsmuir Avenue, from Third Street to Second Street, is complete. All detours are now removed.
- August 22: Construction reaches Fourth Street intersection. Detour routes in effect when closures needed (See map here).
- June 22: Open House held to present final designs for Cumberland Road. (See boards here).
- May 24: Dunsmuir Avenue upgrades contract awarded to JR Edgett Excavating
- December 2015: Public open house for Cumberland/Bevan Road Phase 2 held
- November 2015: Phase 1 of Cumberland/Bevan Road updates completed
- July 2015: Cumberland awarded $1.85M for Dunsmuir Corridor wastewater infrastructure from the Small Communities Fund
- 2013-Summer 2015: Geotechnical investigation and corridor design for Cumberland Road project
GETTING AROUND DURING CONSTRUCTION
The project team will work with contractors to minimize disruptions to travel where possible. Watch this space for information about anticipated closures, detours and parking information.
- There are no current bus service detours related to this project: Current Notices
- Dunsmuir Avenue is fully open to traffic
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Contact the Village Upgrades project team with questions and feedback, or to be added to an email list for project news bulletins:
- Preferred Concept Design – Cumberland and Bevan Roads: Open House June 22, 2016