This page was last reviewed on December 5, 2016.
The significant reconstruction of six blocks of Dunsmuir Avenue in the downtown core is now complete.
The Village thanks everyone for their patience during this work.
Still to come:
- Complete work in laneway between Penrith and Dunsmuir (Seventh-Second streets).
- Replanting of street trees on Dunsmuir in spring 2017.
- Upgrades to Cumberland Road between Union and Bevan roads in 2017.
Watch here for updates throughout the project.
- News Bulletin #8 November-December 2016
- News Bulletin #7 October 2016
- News Bulletin #6 September 2016
- News Bulletin #5 August 2016
- News Bulletin #4 July 2016
- News Bulletin #3 June 2016
- News Bulletin #2 May 2016
- News Bulletin #1 April 2016
- Proposed Construction Map March 2016
Two of Cumberland’s main thoroughfares – long in need of updating – will get the revitalization they deserve in a multi-month construction project expected to begin May 2016. Dunsmuir Avenue and Cumberland Road will both see significant upgrades throughout 2016 and 2017.
These exciting projects are high on the community’s strategic priority list and speak to Council’s long-term commitment to improving aging infrastructure. With grant funding currently on the table, getting them done now means less cost for the village.
We understand this work may be disruptive at times. The project team is committed to providing regular, current updates and actively keeping in touch with residents, business owners and event organizers.
PROJECT PROGRESS DIARY
Watch for project news bulletins, photos and updates/milestones here.
- December 1: The final section of paving on Dunsmuir Avenue, from Third Street to Second Street, is complete. All detours are now removed.
- November 16: Paving completed on Dunsmuir from Fifth Street to Third Street intersections.
- October 28: Sidewalk curbs have been installed up to Fourth Street, and Fifth to Third streets are ready to pave.
- October 12: Work to proceed until final block between Second and Third streets. Intermittent closures anticipated to continue between Fourth and Second streets.
- October 5: Intersection at Third Street and Dunsmuir Avenue closed as work progresses.
- September 6: Paving complete between Carlisle Lane and Fifth Street with curbs and sidewalks finished as well.
- September 2: The North side of Dunsmuir Avenue in downtown Cumberland between Fourth Street and Third Street is scheduled to be closed starting Tuesday, September 6th.
- August 22: Construction reaches Fourth Street intersection. Detour routes in effect when closures needed (See map here).
- August 17-19: Road construction begins between Fifth and Fourth Streets.
- August 2-9: Limited Driveway access on Dunsmuir between Seventh and Fifth.
- July 14: Water main installation to seventh street completed. Work beginning in laneways.
- July 4: Survey closed for final feedback on Cumberland Road design.
- June 22: Open House held to present final designs for Cumberland Road. (See boards here).
- June 13: JR Edgett Excavating mobilizes to begin work on Dunsmuir Ave.
- May 24: Dunsmuir Avenue upgrades contract awarded to JR Edgett Excavating
- May 17: Tender for Dunsmuir Avenue upgrades closed
- April 11: Tender for Dunsmuir Avenue upgrades issued. Posted here: https://cumberland.ca/bids/. Closing date has been extended to May 17.
- December 2015: Public open house for Cumberland/Bevan Road Phase 2 held
- November 2015: Phase 1 of Cumberland/Bevan Road updates completed
- July 2015: Cumberland awarded $1.85M for Dunsmuir Corridor wastewater infrastructure from the Small Communities Fund
- 2013-Summer 2015: Geotechnical investigation and corridor design for Cumberland Road project
GETTING AROUND DURING CONSTRUCTION
The project team will work with contractors to minimize disruptions to travel where possible. Watch this space for information about anticipated closures, detours and parking information.
- Dec. 1: Dunsmuir Avenue is now fully open to traffic.
- Nov. 17: Dunsmuir reopened between Fifth and Third. Closure between Second and Third Street continues. Intersections at both ends of block remain open.
- Sept. 26: Construction to continue onto Second-Third street block of Dunsmuir. Closures expected to end of October.
- Aug. 22: Detours in effect when closures needed: Fourth Street Intersection Map
- July 18: Expect closures on Dunsmuir between Sixth and Fifth (to July 29). Full closure of Sixth street intersection overnight on July 20.
- Bus Service Detours: Current Notices
- June 22: Detours and alternating traffic on Dunsuir between Sixth Street and Carlisle Lane. Expect to continue for a few weeks.
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Contact the Village Upgrades project team with questions and feedback, or to be added to an email list for project news bulletins:
- Preferred Concept Design – Cumberland and Bevan Roads: Open House June 22, 2016