This page was last reviewed on September 29, 2017.
With Phase 1 of the Village Upgrades project (Dunsmuir Avenue infrastructure improvements) complete, and Phase 2 (Cumberland and Bevan Roads) wrapping up until next Spring, Village Council would like to take the opportunity to thank the entire community for its patience and understanding. We know the work was quite disruptive at times, but the contractor was able to finish the planned work ahead of schedule thanks to the courtesy extended by Village residents and visitors (the dry summer helped too).
Construction crews will return to finish the wetland section of Cumberland Road in Spring 2018.
What’s Happening Now:
- Landscaping work continues, weather permitting so watch for crews and intermittent delays
Watch here for updates throughout the project:
- News Bulletin #9 April 2017
- NewsBulletin #10 May 2017
- News Bulletin#11 June 2017
- News Bulletin#12 July 2017
- News Bulletin #13 August 2017
- News Bulletin #14 September 2017
- News Bulletin #8 November-December 2016
- News Bulletin #7 October 2016
- News Bulletin #6 September 2016
- News Bulletin #5 August 2016
- News Bulletin #4 July 2016
- News Bulletin #3 June 2016
- News Bulletin #2 May 2016
- News Bulletin #1 April 2016
- Proposed Construction Map
Two of Cumberland’s main thoroughfares – long in need of updating – will get the revitalization they deserve in a multi-month construction project running from May 2016, to fall 2017. Dunsmuir Avenue and Cumberland Road will both see significant upgrades as part of this work.
These exciting projects are high on the community’s strategic priority list and speak to Council’s long-term commitment to improving aging infrastructure. With grant funding currently on the table, getting them done now means less cost for the village.
We understand this work may be disruptive at times. The project team is committed to providing regular, current updates and actively keeping in touch with residents, business owners and event organizers.
PROJECT PROGRESS DIARY
Watch for project news bulletins, photos and updates/milestones here.
- September 1: Cumberland Road fully re-opens to two-way traffic
- August 25: Temporary paving complete on Cumberland Road “wetlands” section
- August 18: Excavation and reconstruction work on the “wetlands” section of Cumberland Road complete.
- July 14: First phase of paving complete on Bevan and Cumberland Roads, to west of Hope Road. Homes and businesses are now easily accessible through the Village core.
- June 29: Bevan Road is now open to two-way traffic and sidewalks have been poured.
- May 29: Full road closure of Cumberland Road between Bevan and Union Roads, with exception of local traffic to businesses/residences which will always have access – detour for general traffic is along Union and Royston roads to Dunsmuir
- April 17: Single-lane alternating traffic patterns begin on Cumberland and Bevan Roads
- Mid-April: Construction crews mobilize for Cumberland Road work
- March 29: Village receives Bike BC grant for cycling upgrades on Cumberland Road. (Read more here)
- March 2017: Wacor awarded contract for Cumberland and Bevan road upgrades
- December 2016: The final section of paving on Dunsmuir Avenue, from Third Street to Second Street, is complete. All detours are now removed.
- August 22: Construction reaches Fourth Street intersection. Detour routes in effect when closures needed (See map here).
- June 22: Open House held to present final designs for Cumberland Road. (See boards here).
- May 24: Dunsmuir Avenue upgrades contract awarded to JR Edgett Excavating
- December 2015: Public open house for Cumberland/Bevan Road Phase 2 held
- November 2015: Phase 1 of Cumberland/Bevan Road updates completed
- July 2015: Cumberland awarded $1.85M for Dunsmuir Corridor wastewater infrastructure from the Small Communities Fund
- 2013-Summer 2015: Geotechnical investigation and corridor design for Cumberland Road project
GETTING AROUND DURING CONSTRUCTION
The project team will work with contractors to minimize disruptions to travel where possible. Watch this space for information about anticipated closures, detours and parking information.
- There are no current bus service detours related to this project: Current Notices
- Dunsmuir Avenue is fully open to traffic
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Contact the Village Upgrades project team with questions and feedback, or to be added to an email list for project news bulletins:
- Preferred Concept Design – Cumberland and Bevan Roads: Open House June 22, 2016