This page was last reviewed on April 20, 2018.
Final Steps of Cumberland Road Construction: April 9-May 25
Click here for the latest News Bulletin.
The final steps to complete the significant Village Upgrades project are ready to move forward, with a final push of construction on Cumberland Road.
Work will begin the week of April 9 and be complete by the end of May. During this time, a small section of Cumberland Road will be closed , just west of Union Road. While local traffic will be allowed, delays are expected. The road will reopen at the end of each work day.
This final step will see the road reconstructed on top of preloaded material brought in as part of the first phase of Cumberland Road construction in summer 2017.
The Village Upgrades project is part of council’s commitment to improve the infrastructure of Cumberland and provides exciting and much-needed improvements to the community.
What’s Happening Now:
- Removal of preload material
- Rebuild of road base
- Paving of newly-widened roadway and dedicated bike lanes
- Final landscaping through Cumberland Road corridor
GETTING AROUND DURING CONSTRUCTION
The project team will work with contractors to minimize disruptions to travel where possible. Watch this space for information about anticipated closures and detours.
- April 9-May 25: Cumberland Road closure. Detour route in place. Local/Business traffic allowed. See more info here: Traffic Notice
- Dunsmuir Avenue is fully open to traffic
Watch here for updates on the Spring 2018 project progress.
Two of Cumberland’s main thoroughfares – long in need of updating – are getting the revitalization they deserve in a multi-phase construction project that began in May 2016 and will finish this year. Dunsmuir Avenue and Cumberland Road will both be significantly improved following the construction work.
Phase 1 of the Village Upgrades project was completed through 2016/2017 and involved improving six blocks of Dunsmuir Avenue by replacing aging underground services, repaving road surfaces and improving sidewalks. Phase 2, the Cumberland/Bevan Road phase, includes widening the road and shoulder, improving drainage, replacing water lines, and adding new base materials, asphalt paving, sidewalks, and bike lanes.
Watch for project news bulletins, photos and updates/milestones here.
- News Bulletin #9 April 2017
- NewsBulletin #10 May 2017
- News Bulletin#11 June 2017
- News Bulletin#12 July 2017
- News Bulletin #13 August 2017
- News Bulletin #14 September 2017
2017 Progress Updates
- September 1: Cumberland Road fully re-opens to two-way traffic
- August 25: Temporary paving complete on Cumberland Road “wetlands” section
- August 18: Excavation and reconstruction work on the “wetlands” section of Cumberland Road complete.
- July 14: First phase of paving complete on Bevan and Cumberland Roads, to west of Hope Road. Homes and businesses are now easily accessible through the Village core.
- June 29: Bevan Road is now open to two-way traffic and sidewalks have been poured.
- May 29: Full road closure of Cumberland Road between Bevan and Union Roads, with exception of local traffic to businesses/residences which will always have access – detour for general traffic is along Union and Royston roads to Dunsmuir
- April 17: Single-lane alternating traffic patterns begin on Cumberland and Bevan Roads
- Mid-April: Construction crews mobilize for Cumberland Road work
- March 29: Village receives Bike BC grant for cycling upgrades on Cumberland Road. (Read more here)
- March 2017: Wacor awarded contract for Cumberland and Bevan road upgrades
- News Bulletin #8 November-December 2016
- News Bulletin #7 October 2016
- News Bulletin #6 September 2016
- News Bulletin #5 August 2016
- News Bulletin #4 July 2016
- News Bulletin #3 June 2016
- News Bulletin #2 May 2016
- News Bulletin #1 April 2016
- Proposed Construction Map
- December 2016: The final section of paving on Dunsmuir Avenue, from Third Street to Second Street, is complete. All detours are now removed.
- August 22: Construction reaches Fourth Street intersection. Detour routes in effect when closures needed (See map here).
- June 22: Open House held to present final designs for Cumberland Road. (See boards here).
- May 24: Dunsmuir Avenue upgrades contract awarded to JR Edgett Excavating
- December 2015: Public open house for Cumberland/Bevan Road Phase 2 held
- November 2015: Phase 1 of Cumberland/Bevan Road updates completed
- July 2015: Cumberland awarded $1.85M for Dunsmuir Corridor wastewater infrastructure from the Small Communities Fund
- 2013-Summer 2015: Geotechnical investigation and corridor design for Cumberland Road project
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Contact the Village Upgrades project team with questions and feedback, or to be added to an email list for project news bulletins:
- Preferred Concept Design – Cumberland and Bevan Roads: Open House June 22, 2016