On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 one can of garbage and unlimited organics/yard waste will be collected from single family residences in Cumberland.
You can include your Christmas tree in the organics collection. Trees trunks must be less than 3” in diameter and trees must be less than 36” long – please cut trees longer than 3’ in half. All decorations and tinsel must be removed.
Solid waste containers can be up to 77 litres in size and when filled must weigh no more than 22 kg (50lb).
Please put your solid waste out by 8 a.m. on collection day. To help reduce human-bear conflicts, store all solid waste containers is a secure location until the morning of collection day.
2020 Solid Waste Collection Schedule
If you didn’t receive a schedule in your mail box, you can pick one up at the Village office or view and print from the Solid Waste Services page.
Garbage collection is limited to one garbage can per residential unit.
You can purchase tags for collection of additional garbage containers for $2 each at the Village office during regular office hours.
Holiday Closure: The Village office will be closed at noon on December 31, 2019 and will re-open at 8:30 am on Thursday, January 2, 2020.
Organics & Yard Waste Collection
What goes in your organics container:
- yard waste (see details below)
- cooked and uncooked meats, poultry and bones, fish and shellfish
- plate scrapings & food leftovers
- food-soiled paper and cardboard
- grains and pasta, including bread, cereals, pizza, pastries & rice
- dairy products, including cheese, yogurt, sour cream, butter, mayonnaise
- eggs and shells
- fruit and vegetable scraps
- coffee filters, grounds and tea bags
What stays out of your organic container:
- Plastic, even if labeled biodegradable or compostable
- Coffee cups and lids
- Meat trays or other Styrofoam
- Fruit stickers, bread clips or ties
- Metal, rubber or glass
- Diapers or baby wipes
- Pet waste or kitty litter
- Dental floss, cotton swabs or balls
- Dryer sheets or lint
- Vacuum contents or bags
- Cigarettes and butts
- Invasive plants including Himalayan Blackberry, common Morning Glory, Giant Hogweed
Each week there is unlimited collection of tree and shrub prunings, branches, leaves and grass clippings in your organics containers. Please no sod, soil, rocks or gravel.
Tree and hedge/shrub prunings and branches may be included in your organics container or can be bundled separately. Individual branch diameter cannot exceed 7.6cm (3in).
Bundles must be tied securely with jute or hemp (no nylon). Bundles cannot be longer than 90cm (36in), wider than 60cm (24in) in diameter and weigh more than 22 kg (49 pounds).
Please dispose of invasive species in your garbage and not in your organics container.
Be Bear Aware
Store your solid waste in a secure building or an animal-resistant container until the morning of collection day to help stop bears from becoming food-habituated and destroyed. Putting your garbage out the day before can lead to a minimum fine of $100.
Find more information on Solid Waste collection
Please contact the collector Waste Management (WM) of Canada Corporation.
- Dial 1-800-774-9748
- Stay on the line for English
- Press 2 for existing customer
- Press 3 for other questions
- Press 1 for residential customer
- Let the customer representative know that you reside in Canada, in Cumberland, British Columbia, and give your address