This website has been designed to navigate using word search.

Type what you’re looking for in the search box above.

Can’t find the right words? Try something like council meetings or water restrictions or dog licenses.

Candidate FAQs

This page was last reviewed on September 29, 2022.

This page is a summary of questions asked by candidates and potential candidates for the 2022 General Local Election. This page will be updated regularly so please check back.

Candidate Nominations

Q. Can my nominators sign the form before the nomination period?

Yes, nominators may complete the nomination before the nomination period. The BC Candidates Guide advises that, although the Village only requires two nominators, you may have more than two electors nominate you in case there is an issue with the nominator (e.g. not a Canadian citizen).

Q. How many nominators do I need?

The Village of Cumberland and School District No 71 both require a minimum of two nominators. The BC Candidates Guide advises that you may have more than two electors nominate you in case there is an issue with the nominator (e.g. not a Canadian citizen).

Q. The nomination period is just for submission of the package?

Yes, nominations are received between 9am on Aug 30 and 4pm on Sept 9th. Nominations may be sent by email or fax and originals must be received by 4pm on Sept 16.

Q. Is it okay for a notary to witness my candidate declaration on the nomination form before the nomination period?

Yes, you may make your declaration before the nomination period before a Commissioner for Taking Affidavits in BC. If you have any other questions and you cannot find answers, you can refer to Part 3 of the Local Government Act with nominations under section s84 to 91.

Q. On the Financial disclosure do I have to list every company I have shares of in my investment portfolio, including TFSA, RESP and RRSP?

Here is some detail from the Financial Disclosure Act. See also the Financial Disclosure FAQ page.

Other rules about written disclosures

5 (1)If shares of a corporation carrying more than 30% of the votes for the election of directors are held, other than by way of security only,

(a)by a nominee, municipal official, public employee or municipal employee, or by a trustee for him or her, or

(b)jointly by a nominee, municipal official, public employee or municipal employee, or by a trustee for him or her, and one or more of his or her spouse, child, sibling or parent,

the written disclosure must include a statement, in prescribed form, setting out the

(c)name of each of the corporation’s subsidiaries, within the meaning of section 2 (2) of the Business Corporations Act,

(d)type of business ordinarily carried on by the corporation or by the subsidiary,

(e)description and location of land of which the corporation, a trustee for it, or the subsidiary, owns an interest or has an agreement entitling it to acquire an interest,

(f)name of the creditor for each debt of the corporation or subsidiary, except a debt of less than $5 000 payable in full in less than 90 days, and

(g)name of each corporation in which the corporation, a trustee for it, or the subsidiary, holds one or more shares.

(2)For the purposes of sections 3 and 4 and this section, a person is deemed to be a trustee for a nominee, municipal official, public employee or municipal employee if the person

(a)holds a share in a corporation or an interest in land either for the benefit of the nominee, municipal official, public employee or municipal employee, or in circumstances where the nominee, municipal official, public employee or municipal employee is liable to pay, under the Income Tax Act (Canada), income tax on income received by him or her on the share or land interest, or

(b)has entered into an agreement entitling him or her to acquire an interest in land for the benefit of the nominee, municipal official, public employee or municipal employee.

(3)A nominee, municipal official, public employee or municipal employee may make and file a supplementary written disclosure.

Q. Can a candidate nominate another candidate?

Prospective candidates for local office must be nominated by at least two eligible electors from the local government where the person is seeking election. To nominate a candidate for local office, the nominator must:

    • be 18 years of age or older when they register to vote or will be 18 years of age or older on general voting day;
    • be a Canadian citizen;
    • have been a resident of B.C. for at least six months before registering to vote;
    • be a resident in the municipality or electoral area for which the nomination is being made, or in the case of a non-property resident property elector, own real property in the municipality or electoral area, for 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and,
    • not be disqualified under the Local Government Act or any other enactment from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.


Q. Can I put up a campaign tent in a Village park?

A park use permit would be required through an application to Cumberland Recreation.

Q. Can I put up elections signs in Peace Park?

The Streets and Traffic bylaw prohibits campaign signs in or on the boulevard adjacent to Peace Park, Village Park, Village Square and No. 6 Park. Signs are permitted on other public boulevards provided that they do not interfere with traffic sign lines. Signs are not permitted on traffic control devices or utility poles.

Village Administration and Finance

Q. What is the debt calculated in Schedule 2 of the 2021 Audited Financial Statements?

The lender (Municipal Finance Authority) sets a fixed principle for the entire debt term and invest those principal payments. The interest earned on those payments become part of the principle payment. Most financial institutional institutions lend money on a declining balance.

Q. In the Statement of Operations and Accumulated Surplus, the Development Cost Charges (DCCs) revenue is quite low. Is the revenue collected all?

The amounts indicated in the statement are the amounts expended in the year. See note 7 to find how much DCCs were collected in the year.

Q. In the Statement of Operations and Accumulated Surplus, how was the annual surplus amounts for 2020 and 2021 utilized?

The Public Sector Accounting Rules require that the surplus be shown separately from capital projects. The amount of surplus shown is dependent on the capital projects for which the revenues are utilized and the capital projects are not shown in this statement.

Q. In the Statement of Operations and Accumulated Surplus, explain the difference between the budget and actual amounts for Transfers from Other Governments?

The amounts shown are the amounts utilized in that year.

Village Operations and Regulation

Q. Conduct “pre” feasibility study of the end use of landfill gas- has this been done?

Yes, the CVRD has conducted numerous feasibility studies with respect to the landfill gas. As the landfill is operated as a regional service via Comox Strathcona Waste Management, and planning/assessment related to landfill gas is completed by the CVRD and/or CSWM.

As part of the Host Community Agreement between the Village of Cumberland and the CVRD, in 2013 the parties agreed to a Memorandum of Understanding that states the following:

“The CVRD will explore with the Village the possible uses for any integrated resource recovery from the CVWMC, including exploring the provision to the Village of a first option on the use of any integrated resource recovery”

In 2018 the Village submitted a ‘first option’ project proposal to the Comox Strathcona Waste Management Board to sell the raw landfill gas to Fortis BC who would then process it into Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) and distribute it via their existing gas system/network. As part of the partnership with Fortis, the Village also negotiated the inclusion of infrastructure that would allow the local RNG to be distributed to the adjacent Bevan Industrial Lands.

Since submission of the project, the CVRD and Fortis have conducted further feasibility, but have been unable to come to an agreement which would see the project move forward.

Q. I understand Tree Island is looking at moving out to the industrial lands, at what stage is that currently?

Yes, the first land purchase and subdivision within the Bevan Lands is (nearly) complete and was instigated by the owners of Tree Island Yogurt. However, the land purchase/development is being completed under a separate entity called Acciano Development.

The implementation of the new Industrial Park includes a 6-lot subdivision that is currently near completion. The new Tree Island Yogurt facility is being constructed on one of the lots, anticipated to be operational this fall/winter.

Q. How are we getting water/sewer out there? Who is paying for it?

Acciano installed a new watermain along Bevan Road as a requirement of the 6-lot subdivision. This was paid for by Acciano, with plans for them to recover the cost with future development through a Development Works Agreement with the Village, still pending. With respect to liquid waste, Council has provided approval for the use of on-site servicing for the initial sub-division. However, further development will require the planning/implementation of liquid waste infrastructure/service. This is likely to be a condition of future subdivision.

Building on the outcomes of the initial subdivision application process and recommendations made within the Bevan Industrial Lands Concept Plan (2020) , staff have developed the Bevan Implementation Plan (2021). The Implementation Plan recommends next steps over the short to long term, who would undertake them (in-house or consultant), preliminary budget considerations and status of the action.

Q. Will the taxes raised by the area exceed the ongoing costs of maintaining services to the area?

A study has not been done to date that analyzes the total capital and ongoing service level costs for this area compared to taxes levied. In general, taxes raised should equal the cost to provide the service level set by Council’s strategic priorities and during the financial planning process Council establishes tax ratios for property classes. Cumberland taxes levied for commercial and light industry properties typically range from 2 to 3 times the residential tax rate per $1000 of assessment, similar to other municipalities in BC.

Q. For the Cayet development, the strategic plan mentions “There are aspects of the project that were decided more than ten-years ago and cannot be changed now” – what are these aspects?

This comment from the 2018 Economic Development Strategy reflects what was heard in the community consultation to develop the Strategy. The comment may refer to concern that the Comprehensive Development Agreement requires full servicing before any subdivision so would not allow incremental development of the area or allow changes to the types of uses or the density in the different development areas.

Q. Are there any current Cayet proposals coming down the pipeline?

The Village is not in any active discussion with Cayet about a development proposal at this time.

Q. Support creation of a community development corporation/investment fund is this happening?

While the Village has been involved in initial discussions in support of such a concept, the Village is not actively engaged at this time.

Q. Explore establishment of a BIA – how about this? Is this something that could be done with the CBA?

In 2019 the Village provided the CBA with grant funding in support of a feasibility study to determine if/how the BIA model would work in Cumberland. Under this model, a BIA will submit a budget to the municipality and a commercial tax is applied to a specific commercial area (ie downtown Courtenay) as a means of generating the needed income. This revenue is then returned directly to the BIA under an agreement on how it will be utilized.

In completing their feasibility study, the BIA identified that the Village does not have enough commercial property to generate any meaningful funding and/or would generate too much additional cost to local businesses. Subsequently the CBA opted to form as a non-for-profit and generate funding internally and/or through fundraising/events.

Search again