The World Health Organization (WHO) officially classified the coronavirus outbreak (COVID-19) as a pandemic on March 11, 2020. The BC Centre of Disease Control advises that the risk to Canadians continues to be low.
The Province of BC coordinates the roles of all external agencies during a pandemic event. Provincial and Federal Health Authorities are the lead agencies for COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
The Role of Local Government During a Pandemic
The Village has begun coordinating business continuity plans for essential core municipal services, such as water, sewer and fire protection.
To support the prevention of spread of the virus, the following initial actions have been taken by the Village:
- Increased cleaning of Village facilities, including Cumberland Recreation.
- Recreation programs and services will continue as scheduled. Patrons are asked to wash your hands often with soap and water, avoid touching your face with your hands, cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing, and stay home when you are sick. Check cumberland.ca news and the Cumberland Recreation Facebook for program updates.
The Village of Cumberland is collaborating with the Comox Valley Emergency Program and other local governments in the region.
March 16, 2020: For the health and safety of residents, the Village of Cumberland is taking the precautionary measure of closing Cumberland Recreation at 3 pm on Monday, March 16, 2020 until further notice in support of the Public Health Agency of Canada and the BC Ministry of Health and their efforts to contain the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Included in this closure:
- Spring break camps will be running on Monday, March 16, 2020 until 3 pm. All spring break camp programs will be cancelled after today.
- All facility bookings and programming at Cumberland Recreation and at Moncrief Hall in the Cultural Centre are cancelled.
All Cumberland Recreation memberships will be put on hold until further notice. The period of the closure will be added to your membership.
Find out more about Cumberland Recreation.
- BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC)
- World Health Organization
- Island Health
- Province of BC Pandemic Preparedness
Coronavirus information lines:
- Novel coronavirus information: 1-833-784-4397
- Health information Line 8-1-1