This page was last reviewed on November 22, 2019.
Unlimited organics and yard waste is collected weekly from all single family residences in the Village. You must supply your own container and you may mix your yard waste with your kitchen scraps in the same container.
Solid waste containers can be up to 77 litres in size and when filled must weigh less than 22kg (50lb).
Find collection schedules on the Solid Waste Services page and contact information if your collection was missed.
What is Collected in Your Organics Container
- Meats, poultry and bones (cooked or uncooked)
- Fish and shellfish (cooked or uncooked)
- Grains and pasta, including bread, cereals, pizza, pastries & rice
- Dairy products, including cheese, yogurt, sour cream, butter, mayonnaise
- Eggs and eggshells
- Fruit and vegetables
- Plate scrapings and food leftovers
- Food-soiled paper and cardboard like paper towel and pizza boxes
- Coffee filters, grounds and tea bags
- Yard waste: Grass, leaves, tree and hedge/shrub prunings and branches; Branches and prunings do not have to be in a container if they are tied in secure bundles with jute or hemp (no nylon). These bundles cannot be longer than 90cm (36in), wider than 60cm (24in) in diameter and weigh more than 22 kg (49 pounds). Individual branch diameter cannot exceed 7.6cm (3in) because these can jam the packing mechanism in the truck.
What stays out of your curbside organic container:
- Plastic, including plastics and bags labeled biodegradable and compostable
- coffee cups and lids, even if labeled compostable or biodegradable
- Meat trays or other Styrofoam
- Waxed paper
- Fruit stickers, bread clips or ties
- Metal, rubber or glass
- Diapers and baby wipes
- Pet waste and kitty litter
- Dental floss, cotton swabs and balls
- Dryer sheets and lint
- Vacuum contents and bags
- Cigarettes and butts
- Invasive plants: Himalayan Blackberry, common Morning Glory, Giant Hogweed
You can line your container with newspaper to help keep it clean.
More Information about the Program
The organics program diverts organics from the landfill and composts them instead. There is no additional cost to homeowners to participate in the program. Find out more information from Comox Strathcona Waste Management.
Container stickers are available at the Village office.
Multi-family and Commercial
Multi-family units that currently use private collection service will not be part of the program. Businesses using the municipal solid waste program will also not be part of the pilot and will continue to receive weekly garbage collection.Search again