By taking action and creating a FireSmart property, you will dramatically increase the resistance of your home and property to damage caused by wildfire. The best part is, it’s surprisingly easy to do.
Your priorities should include:
- moving any combustible material at least 10 metres away from your home; this includes firewood piles, landscaping bark mulch and wood chips, and fallen branches and leaves
- cleaning your gutters of dry needles and leaves
- pruning any tree branches that are within 2 metres of the ground
- removing any highly flammable plants and landscaping from within 10 metres around your home, especially coniferous trees like cedar, spruce, fire and pine
- spacing trees in your yard at least 2 metres apart
Find out more about preparing your home and yard from FireSmartBC.
Do you have questions? Contact the Cumberland Fire Department at 250-336-2531.Search again